Hello! Below is an interview I did with Paranormal Investigator Charlie Fuhst, completely for my own interest, but I thought that others might find his answers illuminating.
- How do you investigate the paranormal? What are your jobs typically like?
I begin by making sure that every single electronic device is turned off in the household including light switches,because any electronic device can set off the EMF meter “Electric Magnetic Field Meter” It’s purpose is to read electric magnetic energy,that comes from any electrical source. For an paranormal investigator, you would definitely want to use it without any electrical devices giving off any unwanted entry that might disrupt the EMF meter’s reading while investigating. During the investigation, once I am sure that every single electronic device is off, I also use a night vision camera that can help you see orbs. A lot of times, it’s dust particles or small insects. Another device that I use, which is very handy in a investigation, is the digital voice recorder. Its purpose is that it picks up sounds and voices that the human ear can’t pick up.
My jobs, to be very honest, some I do catch, sometimes I don’t. Paranormal investigations is in a sense like fishing: sometimes you get the fish, and sometimes you don’t. Either way, I will let the client know what I caught, what I didn’t, and what I debunked. Debunked means that you were able to recreate the “Paranormal activity.”
- From stories I’ve heard, there seem to be two main types of ghost: ones that interact with the environment and have a personality and ones that just repeat a series of actions over and over again. Have you found this to be true?
Yes, I have encountered both Intelligent and Residual hauntings. I did an Investigation where there was a spirit that I had trouble communicating with, so I provoked him to reveal himself to me. Note: never provoke a spirit unless you are sure that you know what you are doing. The spirit wound up throwing a ceramic plate at my head, and I also heard it say: “Asshole.” I did this investigation solo. There was nobody in that apartment.
In the other investigation, where I caught the residual haunting, I heard walking on the upper floors of a empty house at certain times of the day. The reason why I concluded that it was residual was because the footsteps would happen in the same area at certain times of the day.
- What do you think makes a ghost what it is? Why do you think certain people might become/leave one and most don’t?
There are different theories about this. Some say because they have unfinished business, wrongful death, died premature, and didn’t accept the fact that they are dead.
When some don’t return as spirits, it is possible that they accept the fact that they are dead and just decided to live and let die.
- What’s the most intense experience you’ve had with a ghost?
That would have to be my very first investigation in Staten Island, when I was a member of another paranormal investigation group. Myself and another team member were investigating an abandoned asylum that was also an tuberculosis center a long time ago. When we were investigating the lower floors of one of many buildings surrounding it, we both heard what sounded like feet dragging on that upper floor. But the thing about it was that there was no way of getting to the upper floor because the staircase was covered by debris and garbage. And in that same building, I heard a raspy voice say “Hey” as I was about to leave. My partner didn’t hear it, unfortunately.
- In general, how much of what we see in movies/TV is realistic when it comes to ghosts?
You know that saying “Don’t believe the hype.” Well such is the case. A lot of TV and movies over kill it by overdoing it with getting scared running away like Scooby and Shaggy, or in a movie where you see a possessed person climb on walls, and you see their head spin 360 degrees. That would kill someone instantly. All that stuff is just done for ratings.
- Almost everyone I know has a “ghost story” about someone they know who has a benign ghost in the house who does minor things (changing TV channels, opening/closing doors, etc). How genuine do you think most of these are or are there probably other explanations?
All those examples have been demonstrated by other paranormal investigators, but the ultimate question is: can you debunk? I you can’t debunk it, then it is probably genuine.
- What abilities have you seen (or heard credible reports of) ghosts demonstrate? Can they possess people? Manifest? Throw things?
Definitely yes to all questions. I had a case where a good friend of mine actually got possessed. It lasted for about 10 minutes. I literally had to sit her down and explain to the spirit that was possessing her that this isn’t your body, to let her go. With enough energy, a spirit can manifest and throw objects.
- What have you found to be the best way to get rid of an unwanted ghost?
There are a lot of theories to this particular question. What I found that works for me is sage, and frankincense, and myrrh. Open all of the windows first, burn the frankincense and myrrh around the windows. They love the smell of it. Burn the sage and walk around the house with it–Yes,even your creepy basement if you have one! Let the spirit know that it cannot stay, that this is your house. If this doesn’t work for you, then get someone who has has experience in cleansing homes.
- Do you think there is a difference between ghosts, spirits (in the magical sense), and demons/angels or are they all the same thing?
Ghosts are spirits or spirits are ghosts. It boils down to the same thing. Demons are fallen angels and angels are, well, Angels.
- Have you ever encountered anything of a paranormal variety besides a ghost?
I have, I actually got 3 scratch/claw marks on the back of my leg. I couldn’t prove that it was demonic, but I would love to find out.
Wow, thanks for that! Very cool.